Frollemente used our Gherardino Chianti Classico DOCG Riserva to make a sweet recipe to enjoy with guests for the holidays.
Find out how to prepare pears cooked with Gherardino in a crunchy puff crust with spiced cooked wine glaze.
4 medium Williams pears
1 roll of puff pastry (aka: pasta sfoglia)
500 ml of Gherardino reserve 2017, Vignamaggio
100g of sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
2/3 star anise flower
To brush the puff pastry crust:
1 egg yolk
30ml of milk
2. Prepare a saucepan with the wine, sugar and spices and put it on the stove to boil.
3. When the wine starts to simmer, soak the pears and let them cook for about an hour on a low flame, until they turn red. When the pears are ready, let them drain for a few minutes.
4. Cut out long strips of puff pastry. Wrap two strips to form a braid.
5. Wrap each pear with the puff pastry braid. Start from the top and proceed towards the base.
6. Brush the puff pastry with the egg yolk and milk and sprinkle all the crusted pears with icing sugar. Let the pears cook in the oven at 180 degrees ventilated for 20 minutes. The pears are ready when the crust is golden brown!
7. Let the spiced wine reduce until it has lowered its volume and has become quite thick.
8. Take the crusted pears out of the oven and cover them with the spiced wine glaze.
9. Leave to cool for a few minutes and serve the pears on the table when they are warm. If you like, accompany the dish with a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream!
Wine that takes its name from Gherardino dei Gherardini, progenitor of the illustrious family that built Vignamaggio in the 14th century, our Riserva Gherardino, balanced and enveloping, is produced with 80-90% Sangiovese grapes and 10-20% Merlot.
Aged for 18-20 months in oak barrels and barriques, it is distinguished by its bright ruby color tempered by pomegranate hues, by the aroma of red fruits (black cherries, blackberries and ripe cherries) accompanied by a spicy tone and notes of intense aroma of toasted tobacco and for the balanced fusion between the taste of wild berries with a soft and brilliant tannin and an enveloping licorice finish.